Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Message In a Bottle To My Beloved

Message In a Bottle To My Beloved

Somewhere in the dawn’s warm air I feel freedom
The breaking waves of the ocean lap at my toes and
I wish that I could walk on water,
Just a few steps closer to You
And as the Eastern skies light the sea on fire
I wonder at my strange unease
For I am in a peaceful land,
Far from bullet holes in babies and
Bombs on schoolbuses but
My whole being aches for You
And for Your broken golden city
Between the bloody puff of smoke that was my ancestors
And the red star that will hang above my childrens’ cradles
I have lived this morning in a borrowed peace
A peace that I know is not mine and will not be for ages
A quiet not for godkillers
A sleep not for the stiff-necked
One my restless mind cannot hold onto
But only call to it
Cry to it,
Beg to it,
From the shores of the Exile.
From the ends of the West.

No comments: