Thursday, March 19, 2009

Arava

so, I haven't been posting in like...forever. I have been writing, though. I've decided to use this blog for my Zionist poetry now. I am working on a project called 99 poems for Zion. Some of them will be posted here. Make Aliyah. Peacccee!



Arava

I thirst for the wilderness
I dream of the desert
But with my skin, pale as the moon
With my heart, simple and open
With my mind, tripping on idealism
Will I make it?
Will it break me, as it broke those
Who returned, claiming,
“For what must we suffer,
For half-a-mile of dust?”
Knowing, in their guts,
All their pain was worth
One grain of its sand
Will my desire cool?
Will the summers be too hot,
And the wars too bloody?
Will my skin be burned by the sun,
That seems to seek vengeance of that land?
Will my heart be closed,
When the one I love does not return home,
But walks away into the dust I’d die for?
Will my mind be confused,
By hypocrisy and apathy,
By corruption and disruption of my people’s perfect unity?
And yet, I’ll walk
The footsteps of my prophets soon
And yet, I’ll talk
The truth they tried to tell
A hill, a rock
To them it’s just a desert dune
They laugh, they mock
But I can find the well.

No comments: